Pages

Saturday, 21 December 2013

Plaques & Blue Plaques



My post in my daily blog of a blue plaque prompted my to post this blog. When you walk round many of the Towns in the UK you may spot a plaque on a wall or a blue plaque which commemorates something historic or a notable person, so I thought I would share a few I have found on my travels around.
I'll start with the most noticeable the Blue Plaque.




This is a name many of you will recognize and is on the entrance to the house she liven in at Winterbrook which is part of Cholsey  and not as may be though Wallingford.





This one can be seen on the side of Wallingford Town Hall and is to Judge Sir William Blackstone
The link shows how famous he is.
He is buried at St Peters Church near the Bridge









The say you learn something new everyday, well when I went the wrong way in Marston the other day I noticed a Blue Plaque on he wall of this place





So I stopped to turn round and took this photo.












Further along the road is this row of cottages












and saw this plaque, even great men live in modest houses, We have a lot to thank him for.











This is a recently added one on the wall of the post office in Goring










Samuele Saunders may not mean much to many people but he went on to become Saunders Roe on the Isle of White. You can see what his old boatyard looks like now in the link












Now a different kind of plaque you can see. This one is on a shop along Northbrook Street in Newbury. John Winchcombe is buried at the parish church along the road.





















 Near the Town hall is this building the Cloth Hal
and this stone plaque can be seen on the end








 This on is on the Town Hall, I love it. You can see another one like it on the Bridge at Henley which is one of my favorites








Seems councils were concerned over the weight of traction engines on bridges





 This is Old Culham Bridge which was part of a toll road, the house is still there to the right out of photo. The bridge dates back along way.







You can see this little plaque on it. Have a read of the link I posted.












 Another historic plaque that can be seen along St Ebbs street in Oxford.











You could say this is an historic one, and commemorates Will Loader who was Mayor of Wallingford .







I'll finish with this one which is over some Almshouses in Wallingford You can see this type of place over the top of Almshouses round the country. There are commemorative plaques all round country most of the time you would probably pass by and not notice but it is worth stopping and looking if you notice them.

8 comments:

  1. Really interesting post, Bill. The plaques give us so much information about the history of where we live. I was sorry I never got to see where Agatha Christie lived and the churchyard where she was buried, especially as I was so close to it when I travelled to and from Cholsey station. Did you hear that they are thinking of stopping the siting of blue plaques due to budget cuts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard that one, always thought it was a local authority backed thing. Well if you have 5 minuets you could aways come and to the Agatha Christie trail that Wallingford is promoting.

      Delete
  2. Hello Bill, this is a wonderful post and has made for some fascinating reading. I shall enjoy checking out those links you provided. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, most of it is all local history to me

      Delete
  3. Wow! Great post. I love this. A step back in time...what fun to follow along! Thank you for sharing. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you glad you liked it and thanks for popping by

      Delete
  4. Interesting post. I like historical markers.
    There's a popular plaque here that reads "On this site in 1897, nothing happened.” ;-)
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is how do they know nothing happened, something would have. Thanks for Visting and Happy New Year

      Delete